Friday, November 20, 2009

What do Lincoln Logs have to do with the scriptures?


We've been reading from the scriptures every morning at 6:30 for a few weeks now. Some of the children, the big ones, have murmured significantly regarding this new schedule. They argue that they're too tired to really listen and pay attention, they're quiet because they're mostly asleep. While I acknowledge that I, too, am somewhat sleepy, I believe that the benefits of early morning study time far outweigh the inconvenience to my sleeping schedule. Anyway, today, Josh was playing at the kitchen counter with a really cool Lincoln Log house that Zac built. Josh was playing with the little man that goes with the Lincoln Logs, and they were having a conversation. Apparently the little Lincoln Log man's name is...Pahoran! We just started Helaman in the Book of Mormon. At least someone's listening to the scripture's in the morning!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

You know this can backfire on you. For a long time we told Jonah that he could draw during sacrament as long as it was based on the talks. That is until his drawings became fairly violent (and clearly too modern). When I challenged him, he just named all of his characters with Nephite and Lamanite names and said it was their last great war.

Whatever.

He doesn't draw in sacrament meeting anymore. :o)

Wendy

Danielle Thompson said...

Small victories...they are what keep you doing things like early morning scriptures!

Christine said...

I was just remembering how early you left the house every morning before school started to go to church. Heck, school started at 7:20, so I know you were up way earlier than 6:30 when you were the kids' ages. Did you have to be at church at 6:00? I remember those cold mornings being thankful for your early mornings since that meant you came and got me in a pre-heated car!

You're doing a great job, Mom!